This is the perfect cold weather soup – hearty, rich and filling. There’s nothing really light about it between the butter, pancetta and heavy cream, but it’s ok to indulge every once in a while (right?!). Fresh toasted bread is a must; it really rounds out the meal and helps to soak up the delicious broth at the bottom of the bowl. If you can’t find pancetta, you can easily substitute bacon. I’ve made it with both and it’s equally delicious.
Chicken & Pancetta Wild Rice Soup
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
4 oz (approximately 1 cup) diced pancetta
4 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
32 oz chicken stock
¾ cup wild rice
2 cups water
2 cups cooked, chopped chicken
1 cup heavy cream
Add salt, pepper, chicken stock and water.
Simmer the rice for 20 minutes; add the chicken and heavy cream and cook over medium low heat for another 15-20 minutes.
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 4 oz (approximately 1 cup) diced pancetta
- 4 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 32 oz chicken stock
- ¾ cup wild rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups cooked, chopped chicken
- 1 cup heavy cream
- In a large heavy pot, melt the butter over medium high heat.
- Add pancetta and brown for 3-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle the browned pancetta with flour and stir to coat; cook this for 1-2 minutes to allow the raw flour taste to cook out.
- Add salt, pepper, chicken stock and water.
- Add wild rice and bring to a boil. Once the liquid is boiling, reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer the rice for 20 minutes; add the chicken and heavy cream and cook over medium low heat for another 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with thick slices of toasted bread.